Thursday, January 20, 2005

The best blog I've read this year

As someone who survived infertility en route to getting our Otter, and as someone from a adoptive family, I sometimes find myself browsing fertility-related blogs.

This one, Chez Miscarriage, is brilliant. The writer should be given a book contract by someone, pronto, as her writing is moving and illuminating, and of course therefore addictive. Expect to spend quite some time reading back archives if you dip in to try an entry or two.

I am deeply saddened by all she's had to deal with, but also inspired. It continuously astonishes me how many many many fabulously reflective and insightful people ought there have and are working with fertility issues. I can't argue that those two things are related--I'm sure some of us must be real clods, just by the odds--but it does seems such an untapped taboo area; lots of Internet chat and forum-posting and blogs, but not enough talk "IRL" (in real life).

G and I have talked about writing some about our experiences with Otter-conception. And I push myself to make sure to tell people--even casual strangers--that we had to try hard for him, that it was an assisted conception. I'm sure I've made some a bit uncomfy--but I just so desperately wished that I'd known more people's different paths to parenthood in real life, had more sense that it didn't just happen for everyone else instantly the "traditional" unassisted way.


Site Meter