Wednesday, October 20, 2004

MOU: It's all in how you say it

As some of you know, Otter's version of a security blanket is a shirt of G's or mine, preferably recently worn. He especially loves the ones I wear to sleep in, which are striped and have two tags, one at the neck for the brand and one on the side for the washing instruction. We rotate them: I wear one for a day or two, then he drags it around for a couple days, naps with it, sleeps with it at night, travels with it next to him in the carseat, and so on.

Last night as I was taking my turn helping settle him to sleep, he sat up on the bed, pulled the shirt to put the washing tag at his mouth, and started chewing away. I said "you like that tag, don't you?" and he replied, in a worshipful soft voice, "tahhhg."

I know it's not a word most people think kids need to learn early, but it matters to him.

Site Meter