Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Musings: still missing my kid

I am still feeling Otter-deprived today. I am home working and missing him SO much. I don't know if it's being sick, or just how amazing he is lately, or that we've finally (fingers crossed) gotten his bedtime shifted to be closer to 7 pm then to 8 pm.

I dug out his snowsuit today, the one I bought too large last year (though I thought it would fit) and that miraculously fits him this year. He looks utterly bundled and completely charming in his orange pink blue red snowsuit, evoking Joseph and his amazing technicolor dream coat if the coat were a snowsuit and Joseph were a very blond toddler.

You can see one version of the snowsuit pattern here (from a completed ebay auction).

Now I just have to figure out footgear to keep his feet warm. I realized this morning that Otter has never worn boots; last year we could stuff his feet in anything as he couldn't walk during snow season.

And, while we have been much blessed with hand-me-downs from Otter's cousin Emperor K the Great (who is about to become K the Great Older Brother, a transition we all look forward to with both delight and trepidation). Unfortunately, K was inconsiderate enough to be Otter's current size during a warm season, not a cold one, so no hand-me-down boots. So G and I need to become experienced in toddler boots.

How is it that every time I think we kind of sort of maybe have a handle on this parenting thing--just for now, just for this phase--something else comes up and I realize how wholly ignorant we are?

And how is it that imagining stuffing Otter's dinner-roll feet into boots makes me miss him more?




Site Meter