Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Kids... they're not voters

G and I are very sad. When G got home from work doing election coverage at 4am this morning, I woke up from a lovely dream--literally--in which the results were very very different.

Otter however is not sad. Otter sat up in bed at 5:30 am and began telling me some sort of story. I didn't catch all the details, though I suspect it involved eyes and teeth (my clues being his tendency to stick his fingers in my mouth and say "teet" and his poking himself deliberately in the eye and saying "eye").

It did not involve provisional this or concessional that.

Then he slapped me in the head (I think to try to get me up, showing fairly good aim and eyesight given that our light-blocking shades--and it being 5:30AM!--made it quite dark). When I said "OWWW" he repeated after me in a very high sad questioning tone "Owww???" and tapped his index fingers together in the HURT sign.

So we (Otter and I) moved into the living room in hopes of allowing G some limited sleep before heading back to work.

On the way to work/daycare (me driving us all as G had had essentially zero sleep; before 8 am they began doing jackhammer work outside), in an attempt to entertain Otter, I said "do you see any cars?" (a fair bet) and (in a "talking as if the kid could understand because otherwise you'd talk in perpetual non sequiturs" remark) "can you point to them?"

I was quite startled when in the rear view mirror I saw Otter do just that, extending his hand toward a cluster of three parked cars.

Smartypants. If only he could have voted.

Then again, someday he will. I look forward to that day with joy.

Otter is looking with joy to this afternoon, and tonight, and tomorrow. It's an amazing thing to have a joyful child.

Site Meter